Maxims and Personal Mantra
20 Emotional intelligent maxims from Chip Conley
1. The best bosses and coaches push you from a place of love to uncover your best hidden talents.
2. Happiness drives profitability.
3. Between a stimulus and your response is the space where your growth and freedom occurs.
4. Despair = Suffering – Meaning. Increase the meaning and you'll decrease the despair.
5. When you're in a state of 'Flow' you lose your sense of time, feel at one with what you're doing and have a high pain threshold.
6. Fear is in the moment while Anxiety is in the future.
7. Stop comparing your insides with someone else's outsides.
8. Success or failure starts in the mind.
9. Commit to something bigger than you.
10. Get out of your own way.
11. Don't critique yourself while you're performing.
12. Prepare and trust that you'll perform.
13. Faith gives you a sense that you don't have to it alone.
14. Joy = Love – Fear. The bigger the love, the smaller the fear.
15. Keep upping your game and find a good balance between skill and challenge.
16. Feel lost? Ask "How am I feeling emotionally?"
17. Your emotions will be portable the rest of your life. Work on them.
18. Courage is a natural result of spending sufficient time getting comfortable with your center.
19. Dare to be yourself in business.
20. Curiosity propels you forward, helps you live longer and leads to greater success.
Insight: The more external chaos in the world, the more we need internal logic.
Idea: We're not hostages to our emotions, they're part of us.
Impact: Make sense of your emotions and increase your happiness.
Best Advice: Be Yourself. Everyone else is taken.
In 1987, Chip Conley started his own hospitality company, Joie de Vivre (JDV), and, as CEO for two-dozen years, grew it into the second largest boutique hotel company in the United States. At the age of 26 with no industry experience, Chip transformed a seedy 1950′s “no-tell motel” into the world-renowned Phoenix Hotel, a legendary rock ‘n roll destination catering to the likes of David Bowie, Linda Ronstadt and Nirvana. JDV expanded into a collection of over 35 award-winning hotels, restaurants and spas, with more than 3,000 employees – each property with its own unique theme that inspires guests to experience an “identity refreshment” during their stay. Chip and his company’s time-tested techniques and transformational leadership practices have been featured in every major news outlet including TIME, USA Today, Fortune and The Wall Street Journal.