Maxims and Personal Mantra
10 personal strategy maxims from Rich Horwath
1. There's no guarantee future of success today.
2. The first and most critical step in designing your strategic plan is discovering your purpose.
3. Look at the intersection of passion, talent and skill to create your central focus.
4. Be flexible with your life plan – it's always evolving.
5. Confidence stems from preparation and passion.
6. The biggest area of opportunity is to say 'No' more often.
7. Be aware and delegate your weaknesses.
8. Mindset is the most important element in business and personal success.
9. A strategy print helps you stay centered with mind, body, relationships and finances.
10. Being busy enables us to avoid asking the tough and important questions.
Insight: Fewer than 20% of people have a strategic plan for their life.
Idea: No growth comes from No thinking.
Impact: When you think in new ways, you grow in better ways.
Best Advice: "Work hard! everything starts with preparation." – Dad
What gives you an edge: My purpose. I have a burning desire to be better each time I do something.
Rich Horwath is a national thought-leader on strategy, having appeared on NBC, WGN, and FOX TV to discuss the strategic aspect of current issues. He is the founder and president of the Strategic Thinking Institute, a former chief strategy officer, and professor of strategy at the Lake Forest Graduate School of Management. Rich is the author of four books and more than 75 articles on strategic thinking and his work has been profiled in business media around the world, including Investor’s Business Dailyand Forbes.com. He is a highly sought after keynote speaker, having been ranked the #1 speaker out of 162 on strategy by the Society for Healthcare Strategy. His book, Deep Dive: The Proven Method for Building Strategyhas been described by the Director of World- wide Operations for McDonalds as “…the most valuable book ever written on strategic thinking.” Rich works with world-class organizations located in North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific. He helps companies increase their organizational competency in strategic thinking and guides executive management teams through the strategy development process. As a pioneer in the field of strategic thinking, Rich created the Deep Dive Learning Systemto help managers become truly strategic leaders through assessments, books, workbooks, software, group workshops, instructional videos, templates and one-to-one strategic counsel. His monthly e-publication entitled Strategic Thinkeris read by thousands of business leaders and academicians around the world.